Saturday, October 2, 2010

Proof is in the Pudding....

Ok, so the Healthy eating is paying off. 

Hubby had his 3 month follow up and the doctor is like WOW!   I mean a BIG WOW!  She (Yes, my hubbys doctor is a woman) is like not very many of my other veterans listen to what I tell them.  Bells and Whistles and SIRINs are going off in my head because we personally know people just like that  They are sick, they go to the doctor, the doctor tells them THIS is what you need to do, and do they listen?  Hell NO.  they just keep doing what ever they feel like and continue to be sick.  Then they want to know WHY?  I can tell them  BECAUSE you are totally stupid.

When hubby went to the doctor 3 short months ago and the doctor called him when we were driving back home and the doctor says....  You have High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol and High blood Sugar (border line diabetes).  I say either you had it or you don't.  I said you have it, deal with it or not.  Choice is yours.  I am not going to brow beat my hubby to do what he knows he has to do.  A little history here... 1st his dad died at the age of 69  from complications of diabetes, 2nd his sister had a mini stroke as a result of diabetes, did she heed the warnings?   BINGO  you guessed it, NOPE, she is now on a transplant list because both kidneys are failing.  WAIT  not done yet... 3rd  his youngest brother has also has SEVERAL mini strokes from diabetes and has he done what the doctor has told him.... again a BIG NO.  What is wrong with this picture?  Reminds me of that joke about the drowning man, who dies and gets to heaven and asks God why he didn't save him and God tells him he sent a raft, a boat and a helicopter but he didn't listen?
NO.

Well here is the doctors BIG WOW moment.....  Hubby has lost 22 lbs.  He went from a size 3X shirt to a X-LG.  He went from a size 44 waist to a 38 and we have to shop again because he can fit into a 36.  WOOHOOO  he is looking all slim.  His blood sugar is down to normal range and the blood pressure went from 180/90 to 130/62.  I need to call and get his cholesterol level but doctor said she is more than sure it is also in the normal range.  She wants to keep him on the medications for the next 4 months and then see where he is at.  He only has 18 more lbs to lose. Then we will be in maintaining mode.

So you can see  if you just listen to the doctors advice, like start eating healthier and stay away from Cokes, Candy and Desserts, less fried foods  you would and could improve your health right away.

PS.....  I ate the same things I was preparing for my hubby and I lost 25 lbs.  TIP:  Guess what I found that is soooo DELISH.........  Skinny Cow ice cream cones and Jello Sugar free pudding.  Neither taste like sugar free and are sooooooooo YUMMY

Tricia's Delicious Black Beans
                 Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
¾ cups onion, chopped fine
1 cup tomatoes, diced
1 can (15 oz) BUSH'S BEST Black Beans, drain and reserve juices
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups cooked rice
Lime wedge (optional)

In large skillet heat olive oil; cook onion until crisp tender add minced garlic and cook till tender; stir in tomatoes, and beans, cook 3 minutes; add reserved juices continue to cook 5 minutes. Serve over rice. Squeeze lime wedge over is optional.  TIP   if you want the beans without the rice... omit adding the juices from the beans.  If you want more spicy  add a few drops of hot sauce.

2 comments:

  1. WooHoo! Way to go Dave and Patricia! Philip has broken 25 lbs too. Me, grrrrrrrrrr. Let's not talk about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My weight is doing the South Beach YoYo thang.... down 1 lb up 2 down 3 up 2. Uncle D's seems to be holding steady but he has lost more inches. He can fit into a 36 pants and probably a Lg shirt. We eat way more Salad and I have FINALLY perfected it so D will eat lots of it.

    Shredded Lettuce of your choosing (we happen to like the Iceberg lettuce.
    Sliced thin Cucumbers
    Sliced thin Purple Onions
    Tomatoes
    (SECRET Ingredient) chunked up APPLE - I peel mine but you can leave the skin on if you want.
    Marie Calander's Croutons (Butter & Garlic)

    Uncle D like a tiny bit of shredded cheese (Cheddar & Colby are his favs) but only a tiny bit like a teaspoon full. I like pecans or walnut pieces in mine.

    Salad dressing of your choosing.

    We now eat salad about 3 times a week where before it was only when I made spaghetti or lasagna which was once in a blue moon.

    When I make the salad I always make too much but now that is what I will snack on if I get hungry later.

    ALSO try the Skinny Cow Low Fat Ice Cream Cones. YUMMY

    ReplyDelete